Mayor Domenic J. Sarno and Patrick Sullivan, Executive Director of Parks, Buildings and Recreation Management, announced today during the Mayor’s daily COVID-19 (Coronavirus) cabinet heads meeting that the City of Springfield will be reopening the municipal golf courses on Sunday, May 10, 2020.
Mayor Sarno stated, “As always we must be smart in the way we reopen. Balancing not only first on public health, medical and science guidelines, but also rational and reasonable economic needs too. Governor Baker’s edict is on private courses with local option for public courses. After meeting with and conferring with my cabinet heads at our regular early morning meetings, I have decided to take the local option and reopen ASAP.”
Per the Governor’s requirements, those interested in booking a Tee time must call in advance for a time slot and will be required to utilize remote payment options. Walk-in play will not be permitted.
Franconia: (413) 787-6467
Veterans: (413) 787-6449
Earlier this morning Governor Charlie Baker updated the Essential Services Guidance to allow golf courses to reopen but under strict guidelines and restrictions.
Per the Governor’s COVID-19 Essential Services FAQs (Updated: Thursday, May 7, 2020) the specific guidelines for golf courses are:
- Security personnel can be delineated by each club (ex. a pro and the head starter) and will be present to enforce social distancing. There can be no other employees working at the recreational component of the golf operation.
- All staff must wear face coverings while on the property
- Club facilities including but not limited to the club house, pro shop, restaurant, bag room and locker room must remain closed
- No caddies allowed
- No golf carts allowed
- Push carts may be used. Players must either carry their own bag or use a push cart
- All golfers must maintain proper social distancing of at least 6 feet at all times
- Groups of players are restricted to no more than 4 players at one time.
- Members-only clubs can allow guests as determined by the security personnel on the golf course
- Private clubs that allow non-members to make reservations can do so at their discretion
- Maintenance personnel are permitted to work on the golf course
- Tee Time Policy must be 15 minutes between groups
- Golfers must stay in their car until 15 minutes before their tee time and must return to their car immediately following play
- Online and remote payment options must be utilized
- All golfers must use their own golf clubs. Sharing golf clubs or rental golf clubs is not allowed.
- Flag sticks must remain in the hole. Hole liners must be raised so picking a ball out of the hole doesn't occur
- Bunker rakes must be removed, and ball washers must be removed or covered.
- Practice putting green, driving range, and chipping areas must be closed.
- Facilities must have readily accessible hand sanitizer